Writing Prompt: All money vanishes

Today I woke up and checked my bank account balance. I thought I had at least $500 in my checking account and now there's nothing. I checked my savings next and I had at least $3,000 in there. It's all gone. I must have been hacked. I reaching my wallet for my debit card to call the bank and it's not there. Was it stolen? How would it be stolen? I haven't been anywhere in weeks. Maybe I accidentally put it back somewhere else in the wallet. 

As I search through my wallet, I notice that the $20 bill I had in there is gone. My lucky silver dollar is gone. And all my credit cards are gone. This is getting weird. 

I get a call from my best friend Paige. She's frantic. Kind of like me. All of her money is gone out of her bank account. I tell her to check her other accounts and her wallets and purses. Everything gone.  

As she was looking, I got a text from my parents saying the same thing happened to them and they want technical help to make sure they're not seeing anything inaccurately. I told them to check all the places they keep money as well. It's all gone. 

I start looking at my news apps online. This is too weird. However, it turns out all the money in every form in the entire world is gone. The news is reporting that leaders of all the nations will be meeting to try to figure out some kind of solution to this problem. Until then, we are instructed to trade items or food if we must buy something but we also must try to buy as little as possible until everything is figured out. 

I don't have a lot of confidence that this is going to get figured out. It seems like I'm not alone in this from what I'm reading on Reddit. Some people are talking about not paying their rent anymore or stealing food from the grocery stores. Other people want to steal the new video game systems from electronics stores and sports cars from dealerships. 

Other people are talking about how relieved they are that they may not ever have to pay back any debts. I know that's what I'm most relieved about. I owed so much money to my landlord, medical billing companies, my student loans, and so many credit cards.  Now I might not have to file for bankruptcy like I was planning. Now I might not get evicted. But who really knows? 

There's relief and there's also fear. Maybe they'll come up with some other way to make me pay for these things. I don't know how I would. I have no income anymore. I haven't been able to get out of bed for over a month since I had a stomach bug at the beginning of April. I'm just so tired all the time. I can't explain it. Obviously, I can't work like this.  I need to be able to survive somehow. 

Maybe this is the blessing I was looking for and probably also for a lot of people. Or it could be complete chaos. I guess we'll find out in the coming weeks...


Comments

Popular Posts