What Even Is A Father?

At 2 years old,
I was told that my mother's new husband was my father.
I don't have many memories from then.

When I was 5,
my mother told me that
My biological father
Abandoned me
So my new father 
Would adopt me.

I remember I hated him. 
He was so mean.
Made me feel so small.
Is this what a father is?

When I was 15,
My mother started dating a really great man
Her and my adoptive father 
Split when I was 11.

This new man was 
Kind, gentle, understanding 
He would go above and beyond for all of us.

My mother left him for another man after I started college.  
I was heartbroken.
He promised to stay in my life 
But never kept his promise 

The next man became my second stepfather very quickly 
I was out of the house 
But I was still expected to see him as a father figure and his daughter as a sister
It was an impossible situation 
And no matter how nice and understanding he seemed
He creeped me out.

When I was 19,
I met my biological father.
He was desperate to be in my life
Until I wasn't what he imagined 
Then he didn't want me all over again.

When I was 24, 
I got married and gained a father in law. 
Though, I never expected much from that relationship.
I was blamed for decisions my husband made alone 
And my inlaws villianized me 
He banned me from their home. 

When I was 29, 
My second stepfather left my mother.
Just a note on the table.
We learned he was a con man
Now, I check my credit constantly
My mother encouraged me to let him have my information 
To fill out tax return information for student financial services.
I had to rely on that information to get through school...

My grandfather passed away when I was 29.  
I've been abandoned by so many men but never him.
He was my true father.

I look back fondly at all of our memories together.
He taught me so much.
Kept his promises.
Kept me safe.
Loved me without condition.
That is what a real father does. 

I miss him every day
Even though I know he's still looking out for me 

I wish I had more people in my life like my grandfather.  
I feel like the emptiness inside
Would be much smaller
That the doubt I feel in relationships 
Would be nonexistent 
That I would feel 
Worthy 
Wanted 
Loved. 

Comments

Popular Posts