Writing Prompt: Dramatize a Formative Moment in Your Life

When I was born, I was put in a cage.  
People would torment me.  
Point and laugh at me.  
Poke at me over and over.
Call me weird.  
Scream at me if I spilled a drop of water.  
Hurt me. 

When I was 14, I found a key. 
I was able to leave my cage for a few hours a day. 
No one outside knew about my cage. 
I was free for small moments. 

When I would escape my cage, 
People accepted me. 
Loved me. 
Wanted to know me. 

Like Cinderella, 
My time of freedom
would run out
and
I would have to return to my cage

When I was in my cage, 
I would miss the people
who were kind to me,
who loved me,
who accepted me. 

So, I got more creative
I started escaping more often.
Sometimes there would be consequences 
But they were worth it
Because...

For the first time... 
I knew love
I knew acceptance
I knew kindness

Eventually, I escaped the cage for good
The journey was rough
Sometimes it is still hard
But I don't regret it. 

I'm safe now.
I'm accepted now.  
I'm loved now. 
And no one will ever put me in a cage again

Comments

Popular Posts