Writing Prompt: Dramatize a Formative Moment in Your Life (Second Try)

It's a warm summer evening in Central Florida.  The first day of 10th grade ended 2 hours ago.  I was dreading it so badly, but it really wasn't that bad.  I feel like if I can't transfer schools, everything *may* go better than last year.  

My boyfriend is on the phone.  He goes to the school I'm trying to transfer to.  It's just a coincidence.  I started the transfer process before we started dating.  It would be so great to have a boyfriend to kiss between classes though. 

My boyfriend is telling me about his first day and all of our friends that go to school there.  But he's really excited to tell me about this new kid.  I guess he just moved here from Brooklyn and is really funny.  My boyfriend has never heard the Brooklyn accent in real life so he thinks the new kid's accent makes his jokes even funnier.  I'm looking forward to meeting him. 

--

It's two weeks later.  I finally got the green light to transfer schools.  No one knows today is the day.  It'll be a surprise for all my friends here.  I'm sitting in the front office getting registered.  After criticizing the school's old paint job, my mom turns to me and warns me that this is it and "there's no going back" and asks if I'm sure.  Hell, yeah I'm sure.

The last 2 weeks have definitely been better than last year but having more bullies than friends is never fun.  Worse is watching your best friend who knows everything "refuse to take sides".  I'm ready for change. 

I get my schedule. The guidance counselor gets a kid to show me around. Apparently it's lunchtime.  My heart is pounding with adrenaline.  I just want to see my friends finally.  

The kid keeps talking.  I'm trying to find any way out of this tour. My friend walks by.  I shout out to him.  He's SO shocked to see me.  He tells me where everyone is sitting and runs ahead.  I tell the kid I just want to go to lunch and take off after him.

All of my friends are in the patio at the red lunch table to greet me.  It's the warmest greeting I've ever gotten.  My boyfriend kisses me in front of everyone. It's awesome. 

The day moves quickly. I love my classes.  I've already made new friends. People here are so nice.  

At the end of the day, I meet my boyfriend outside of his chemistry class to walk to the buses together.  The new guy from Brooklyn is in that class with him and he wants us to meet.  He is definitely funny and the accent doesn't  fit his look at all.  I notice he has really pretty big green eyes. We have only a couple minutes to talk before they head to the busses.  I hope we'll become good friends. 

--

It's 10 years later.  I'm walking down the aisle at my wedding to marry the love of my life.  My grandfather places my hand in my fiance's and says, "Be good to each other".  I turn to my love and ask, "Are you ready?".  He looks at me with his big green eyes and says, "Let's do this".

I had no idea that scrawny boy from Brooklyn I met on the first day of my new school would grow up to be the love of my life and the best friend I've ever had. 

Comments

Popular Posts